Tips for hosting a successful virtual meeting
The opportunity to include everyone, wherever they are, far outweighs any limitations that hosting an online meeting might bring. Yet, paying attention to virtual meeting etiquette can offset many of those restrictions. Here are our five tips to successfully host a virtual meeting in 2023.
- Prepare and Test Technology in Advance:
- Ensure all participants are familiar with the chosen video conferencing platform and any additional tools you’ll be using (e.g., screen sharing, virtual whiteboards).
- Conduct technical checks beforehand to ensure everyone’s equipment, internet connection, and software are working smoothly.
- Establish Clear Objectives and Agenda:
- Define the purpose of the meeting and communicate clear objectives to all participants.
- Share a detailed agenda in advance, outlining topics, speakers, and expected outcomes. Stick to the agenda during the meeting to maintain focus and productivity.
- Encourage Active Participation:
- Engage participants through interactive elements like polls, Q&A sessions, or breakout discussions to maintain involvement and prevent distraction.
- Encourage attendees to use video and participate actively by providing input, asking questions, and sharing insights.
- Manage Time Effectively:
- Allocate specific time frames for each agenda item and adhere to the schedule rigorously.
- Designate a facilitator to manage time and discussion flow, ensuring that the meeting stays on track and concludes within the allotted time.
- Follow Up and Documentation:
- Send a post-meeting summary to all participants, highlighting key decisions, action items, and responsibilities.
- Archive meeting recordings, documents, and any collaborative work for future reference and for those unable to attend the live session.
Incorporate these tips to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of your virtual meetings in 2023.